Monday, December 7, 2009

December!

We have an old tradition in our family - we call it a Christmas Calendar (some people around here call it an advent calendar). Every day from the first of December until the 24th, Natalie gets a little present. Actually, she gets three, because she gets one from Grandma, one from her Aunt and Cousin, and one from us.

This year I couldn't find the time to wrap it all up until the last minute. So on Nov. 30th, after Natalie and Karsten had gone to bed, I was listening to Christmas music and wrapping up 24 little gifts. I tied them onto an old embroidered "calendar" that my mom made for me when I was little. And I enjoyed it sooo much. There was so much peace and quiet in the house, and I had time to look forward to Natalie opening each present, thinking about if she would like them, etc. I was also thinking back to when I was a little girl, getting all these presents. Good times.

Here's a picture from Dec. first when Natalie got to open the first present:

Such a great tradition.

1 comment:

Cate said...

I experienced the advent calendar for the first time when I lived in Germany in high school. I love the tradition!